Project - Carbon Fiber Tubing

Isaiah

Question

Hi All,

I am a college student and was wondering if you could help me out. We are designing a chair - like product and was wondering what size of Carbon Fiber Tubing i would need to hold roughly 300 lbs? I also need to be able to cut and drill holes into it, any ideas?

Thanks,

Isaiah 

2 answers to this question

On 4/7/2023 at 12:52 PM, Isaiah said:

Hi All,

I am a college student and was wondering if you could help me out. We are designing a chair - like product and was wondering what size of Carbon Fiber Tubing i would need to hold roughly 300 lbs? I also need to be able to cut and drill holes into it, any ideas?

Thanks,

Isaiah 

Hey Isaiah,

Much of this is going to depend on the design of the chair. You could use FEA software to get a good idea of whether or not this will hold up, but I'd put my money on yes 😄

@John Kimball may have more detailed technical input!

2 hours ago, lo_0l said:

Hey Isaiah,

Much of this is going to depend on the design of the chair. You could use FEA software to get a good idea of whether or not this will hold up, but I'd put my money on yes 😄

@John Kimball may have more detailed technical input!

On 4/7/2023 at 1:52 PM, Isaiah said:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Isaiah 

Isaiah,

The amount of load a tube can take will greatly depend on a lot of factors. Mainly, how it's loaded, how many tubes are loaded, how is the tube fixed, static loads, etc. For instance, if you are using the tubes as legs, then it would be a mostly compression load and would be spread around through all the other legs. But a cross member would take a bending load. The more you can share with the group, the better.

• Like 1