Making a plywood with inner carbon fiber layer

AVA

Hi, is it possible to make a wood / carbon fiber hybrid ply wood?

Lets say I have two pieces of wood at 50mm wide strips at 5mm thick and I want to glue them together with a layer of carbon fiber sandwiched between..

Can this be done? What sort of glue would I be using??

I'm guessing a regular PVA would be no good?!

Thanks

1 hour ago, AVA said:

Lets say I have two pieces of wood at 50mm wide strips at 5mm thick and I want to glue them together with a layer of carbon fiber sandwiched between..

Thanks

Hi @AVA,

Welcome to Composites Community! I believe the best approach would be to lay all of this up at once utilizing pieces that are a bit bigger than your required dimensions. Then you can cut and plane it to your required dimensions. @Adam C might have some additional input.

What are making? This sounds interesting!

2 hours ago, AVA said:

Thanks

Yes, this is possible. You would just use epoxy laminating resin and some clamping force or a vacuum bag to get good consolidation. You would want to make your wood pieces larger so you can trim it to size after it's cured.

Hi all.

I build stave drums. And currently I have one particular model called the SUPER-STAVE model that has a 3 ply stave. The two outer pieces are vertical with a piece of horizontal grained wood running perpendicular.

The middle piece is quite time consuming to make as the grain has to run the short way. So considering a strip of 2" mat of some discription glued right in there to make it super strong. I make the stave pieces at around 32" long then they get machined and cut to a shorter length after.

My website is www.avadrums.com you'll see some stuff on the about page if your looking to kill a few mins! 

I'm all about doing something different so any tips much welcome!

20230129_202645.jpg

I build stave drums. And currently I have one particular model called the SUPER-STAVE model that has a 3 ply stave. The two outer pieces are vertical with a piece of horizontal grained wood running perpendicular.

The middle piece is quite time consuming to make as the grain has to run the short way. So considering a strip of 2" mat of some discription glued right in there to make it super strong. I make the stave pieces at around 32" long then they get machined and cut to length.

My website is www.avadrums.com you'll see some stuff on the about page if your looking to kill a few mins.

I'm all about doing something different so any tips are much appreciated. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, AVA said:

Hi all.

The middle piece is quite time consuming to make as the grain has to run the short way. So considering a strip of 2" mat of some discription glued right in there to make it super strong. I make the stave pieces at around 32" long then they get machined and cut to a shorter length after.

My website is www.avadrums.com you'll see some stuff on the about page if your looking to kill a few mins! 

20230129_202645.jpg

The thing you should first consider is how the composite material will affect the acoustics of the drum. Different composite materials have very different resonance qualities. I'm not a drummer, so I don't know how the drum body affects sound, but I would guess that resonance and acoustics are a pretty big deal. Carbon fiber has higher damping properties than other materials including wood and even metal. It would be fascinating to see how this affects the sound. In theory, you could replace the wood with solid composite plates, but your time consuming efforts might be greater than with wood. The best option would be to redesign the process to take advantage of the composite materials and processes.

32 minutes ago, John Kimball said:

The thing you should first consider is how the composite material will affect the acoustics of the drum. Different composite materials have very different resonance qualities. I'm not a drummer, so I don't know how the drum body affects sound, but I would guess that resonance and acoustics are a pretty big deal. Carbon fiber has higher damping properties than other materials including wood and even metal. It would be fascinating to see how this affects the sound. In theory, you could replace the wood with solid composite plates, but your time consuming efforts might be greater than with wood. The best option would be to redesign the process to take advantage of the composite materials and processes.

Hi!

Yes 100%, I would love to try it for sure and see what effect it has. There are quite a few folks that build drums and guitars purely from fibrous materials.

What I did do was order some 2" fiberglass roll for fun, it was like 15bucks so way cheaper than carbon fiber or kevlar.

I will basically saturate the fiberglass in wood glue and clamp it between the wood pieces.

I'll be back with the results!

On 2/10/2023 at 5:44 PM, AVA said:

Hi all.

20230129_202645.jpg

It looks as though only one of your pictures showed up. Could you try editing the post and attaching them again?

1 hour ago, AVA said:

Hi!

Yes 100%, I would love to try it for sure and see what effect it has. There are quite a few folks that build drums and guitars purely from fibrous materials.

What I did do was order some 2" fiberglass roll for fun, it was like 15bucks so way cheaper than carbon fiber or kevlar.

I will basically saturate the fiberglass in wood glue and clamp it between the wood pieces.

I'll be back with the results!

You may want to use epoxy resin to saturate the fiberglass. Wood glue is not meant to be used for laminating and may be too flexible in the end. Also, at thicknesses like that, it will shrink a lot, creating other issues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Kimball said:

You may want to use epoxy resin to saturate the fiberglass. Wood glue is not meant to be used for laminating and may be too flexible in the end. Also, at thicknesses like that, it will shrink a lot, creating other issues.

Yes you are probably right.. I was going to try one layer and see how it holds up. I will try a more suitable adhesive when this one inevitably fails!