Telescoping Pole for Pipeline Inspection

SDP92

Hello, and thank you for your time. 

Im trying to build a system that will lower a camera which weighs about 18 lbs down a water well to inspect a few pipelines. Im looking for a carbon fiber telescopic pole that will allow me to lower the camera down up to 50ft max. I will be lowering the pole down with an electric winch system and I need to ensure the telescoping sections will not come undone and have "stops" in place to avoid the pole from coming apart if extended too far. Finally the last pole (smallest section) should have an outside diameter of at least an inch and a quarter, but the bigger the better. 

Thank you. 

Hi @SDP92,

Welcome to Composites Community! You could use something like this Carbon Fiber Telescoping Tube, and bond on these compression fittings if you want to DIY.

This is likely something that @Rock West Composites can make for you! I'm tagging @John Kimball and @Emily Lewis. One of them will be able to help you out with this if you're interested in having one or more made.

• lo_0l changed the title to Telescoping Pole for Pipeline Inspection
6 hours ago, SDP92 said:

Im trying to build a system that will lower a camera which weighs about 18 lbs down a water well to inspect a few pipelines. Im looking for a carbon fiber telescopic pole that will allow me to lower the camera down up to 50ft max. I will be lowering the pole down with an electric winch system and I need to ensure the telescoping sections will not come undone and have "stops" in place to avoid the pole from coming apart if extended too far. Finally the last pole (smallest section) should have an outside diameter of at least an inch and a quarter, but the bigger the better. 

Thank you. 

I was able to check some configurations, and we can definitely help. To get to 50', it would take a 10 section system with the smallest tube at 1.48" OD and the largest at 2.61" OD. The compressed length would be 72" and the entire system would be about 12 lbs. The only consideration is that our compression fittings are designed to lock into place to hold the pole in an extended position. But they can be loose to do what you are looking to do. However, the pole won't be as stiff as it would be if the fittings were tightened. I don't know how much stability you require for your imaging. The assembly if used correctly will not separate when extended. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, SDP92 said:

Thank you. 

How did this project come along?  

I liked the idea of using a really long Carbon fiber pole to raise a small camera up and take "aerial" photos.  So many places ban drones, but a 50ft tall poll with a camera on it would be acceptable.