Coming from 3D printing hobby

Tanoak

Hello, I'm new here. I've learned a lot about 3D printing, and now I'm thinking about a mixed material project that would utilize some carbon fiber composite bits with 3D printing parts. Thought I'd check this place out and learn a bit.

Have any of you used 3D printing in with your journey in composites?

On 12/29/2023 at 9:48 AM, Tanoak said:

Hello, I'm new here. I've learned a lot about 3D printing, and now I'm thinking about a mixed material project that would utilize some carbon fiber composite bits with 3D printing parts. Thought I'd check this place out and learn a bit.

Have any of you used 3D printing in with your journey in composites?

I 3D print quite a bit! I've been wanting to incorporate carbon fiber into some of my prints for a while now. One thing I've been thinking about doing is adding in some carbon fiber stringers internally to the prints. I think the best way to do this is to make a void in the 3D model for the stringer, print up to the top layer of the void, add the stringer, and resume the print.

I've also been wanting to try out carbon fiber infused filament, but I hear it's rather rough on nozzles. Have you tried any of the CF filaments yet?

4 hours ago, lo_0l said:

I 3D print quite a bit! I've been wanting to incorporate carbon fiber into some of my prints for a while now. One thing I've been thinking about doing is adding in some carbon fiber stringers internally to the prints. I think the best way to do this is to make a void in the 3D model for the stringer, print up to the top layer of the void, add the stringer, and resume the print.

I've also been wanting to try out carbon fiber infused filament, but I hear it's rather rough on nozzles. Have you tried any of the CF filaments yet?

Nah, I haven't tried any of the carbon fiber filaments.  I watched a few strength comparisons on Youtube and it boiled down to whether one liked the CF filament look. 

I like the ideas of the carbon fiber stringers.  Sounds a lot like pausing the print to add magnets.

Thoughts on whether you'd add some soft of glue or epoxy eventually to adhere the string to the PLA?