The basic formulas for bidirectional weave composites

Mongo

Question

I read a fascinating article in Racecar Engineering magazine.  The article broke down all the major formulas for suspension and steering geometry into easy step by step instructions with descriptive examples.  This was a simple process that did not require CAD.  It only needed a scientific calculator. 

Is there any resource that can walk me through the basic math and physics regarding structures that consist of layers of bidirectional weave composites, core materials and the resins?

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Mongo said:

I read a fascinating article in Racecar Engineering magazine.  The article broke down all the major formulas for suspension and steering geometry into easy step by step instructions with descriptive examples.  This was a simple process that did not require CAD.  It only needed a scientific calculator. 

Is there any resource that can walk me through the basic math and physics regarding structures that consist of layers of bidirectional weave composites, core materials and the resins?

@John Kimball might have some resources. He actually teaches a composites class 🙂

Do you happen to have a link to that article!?

@Mongo, there's a lot of depth you could go here. I'm just going to start with something here...

A good tool is "TheLaminator", I think there's a 30 day trial but a license is $29. This would give you apparent laminate properties from a stackup of composite lamina. There are some tabs for loading... which I think suggest to you a max moment if I'm remembering correctly. 

http://www.thelaminator.net/

You can use the above for getting laminate properties. For analysis of panels, Roarks Stress and Strain is the best accumulation of different loading conditions. Table 8.1 on page 189 is a good place to find scenarios. You can use these to get the max moment.

https://jackson.engr.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/229/2023/03/Roarks-formulas-for-stress-and-strain.pdf

Composites typically fail in compression, so you can use these equations 

image.png.80c855c08c7ceec403fd478f9febc7e9.pngimage.png.3a75164744ae651760c3a3ea1dfa9621.png

This is a great original paper from NASA that discusses theory. There is a lot of matrix math, so leaving the calculation programs to do the math is a great route.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19950009349/downloads/19950009349.pdf