Holiday Composite Projects

lo_0l

Anyone have any interesting composites projects they're planning to work on over the holidays this year? 🙂

The only thing I have planned right now is to redo the carbon fiber vinyl I put on my side view mirrors. I still want to make some real CF mirror covers, but I'm stuck on how to go about making the tabs that are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some stocking stuffer ideas that seemed cool and easy that I'd like to try. Mostly keychains, bottle openers or even a money clip (might be nice to give with cash/gift card type holiday gifts for friends or co-workers).

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm new to composites and I feel like my inexperience has limited the scope of my ideas.

On 11/30/2023 at 6:03 PM, richiewayne said:

What are the tabs you’re referring to?

No specific holiday projects. 

Sorry Richie, I'd missed this.

So on the back of mirror covers for cars there are tabs that allow it to snap into the mirror covers. I can take a picture later and post it here.

2 minutes ago, jenn4536 said:

I saw some stocking stuffer ideas that seemed cool and easy that I'd like to try. Mostly keychains, bottle openers or even a money clip (might be nice to give with cash/gift card type holiday gifts for friends or co-workers).

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm new to composites and I feel like my inexperience has limited the scope of my ideas.

I really like the keychain idea. I have a carbon fiber keychain that I like a lot. So much so that because it's my go-to set of keys and the fob battery now needs replacing way ahead of schedule 😄

I've been wanting to make some carbon fiber keychains as a side project, but time just hasn't allowed. What kind of keychain designs did you have in mind?

On 12/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, lo_0l said:

I really like the keychain idea. I have a carbon fiber keychain that I like a lot. So much so that because it's my go-to set of keys and the fob battery now needs replacing way ahead of schedule 😄

I've been wanting to make some carbon fiber keychains as a side project, but time just hasn't allowed. What kind of keychain designs did you have in mind?

Hello, everyone!

I was exploring this topic and really liked the idea of carbon fiber keychains! I went hunting around and found some cool stuff, including carbon fiber keychain pocket knives!

I also stumbled upon some carbon fiber bracelets that looked pretty neat. I might have to get one as a gift

Do you think it would be pretty easy for a beginner to make a carbon fiber bracelet? 

2 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Hello, everyone!

I was exploring this topic and really liked the idea of carbon fiber keychains! I went hunting around and found some cool stuff, including carbon fiber keychain pocket knives!

I also stumbled upon some carbon fiber bracelets that looked pretty neat. I might have to get one as a gift

Do you think it would be pretty easy for a beginner to make a carbon fiber bracelet? 

I think carbon fiber bracelets would be pretty easy to make. In fact, you could make them out of some carbon fiber tubing then sand and clear coat it!

I actually have a carbon fiber ring that @Adam gave me 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, lo_0l said:

Not yet. It's probably going to be a while unless I can graft the frame from the OEM mirrors.

Not sure what the best approach is TBH. But I will definitely be looking into it over the holiday break!

The holidays are in progress.  How is your sideview mirror frame project going?