Hello

Shnorky

Hello,

My name is Mark, I'm from Arizona. I am very new to composites but also very interested in learning to make parts for my car. I have a 2022 Kia Forte GT, but there is not a lot of aftermarket support for it as with most Korean cars here in the states. I have ordered a couple of parts that are available but when talking to a couple of companies here locally 1 wanted $3000 for a spoiler and the other had no interest in the project. Either way, I have decided I want to push forward with some interior parts and will see how those come out before trying something larger like a spoiler. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shnorky said:

Hello,

My name is Mark, I'm from Arizona. I am very new to composites but also very interested in learning to make parts for my car. I have a 2022 Kia Forte GT, but there is not a lot of aftermarket support for it as with most Korean cars here in the states. I have ordered a couple of parts that are available but when talking to a couple of companies here locally 1 wanted $3000 for a spoiler and the other had no interest in the project. Either way, I have decided I want to push forward with some interior parts and will see how those come out before trying something larger like a spoiler. 

Welcome @Shnorky (Mark)! Great to have you aboard with us 🙂

I know what you mean about a lack of parts. I have a 2021 Crosstrek and (would you believe it?) there aren't a lot of carbon fiber parts available either. I've resorted to wrapping my mirrors with carbon fiber vinyl for now. I have been thinking about making some real CF mirror covers, but I just don't have the time right now. Perhaps over the holiday break this winter I can convince @John Kimball to come out, defrost, and guide me through it.

What kind of interior parts do you want to make?

4 minutes ago, Shnorky said:

I want to remake the shifter surround out of carbon fiber and the switch plates for the windows and door locks.

It might be a good idea to get some spare parts to work from. eBay is a good source for that. I’ve built some gear shift knobs and I always start with spare parts on eBay. You can use it to make the molds or practice skinning. That way you always have the actual part to keep on the car until yo u get it finished.

Below pic is of my ‘18 Crosstrek 6 speed manual shift knob.

30306B89-C3C7-4A53-87D7-D0806AEEB35C.jpeg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lo_0l said:

Welcome @Shnorky (Mark)! Great to have you aboard with us 🙂

I know what you mean about a lack of parts. I have a 2021 Crosstrek and (would you believe it?) there aren't a lot of carbon fiber parts available either. I've resorted to wrapping my mirrors with carbon fiber vinyl for now. I have been thinking about making some real CF mirror covers, but I just don't have the time right now. Perhaps over the holiday break this winter I can convince @John Kimball to come out, defrost, and guide me through it.

What kind of interior parts do you want to make?

Let’s play that by ear for now 😀

Actually the shift knob was pretty easy there is a company that makes the for another similar model that it will fit no issue. But, yeah I have started to order spare parts. Even ordered a spare armrest and shift boot to have recovered in alcantara. Should have the armrest back tomorrow.

Screenshot_20230823_213556_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:01 PM, John Kimball said:

It might be a good idea to get some spare parts to work from. eBay is a good source for that. I’ve built some gear shift knobs and I always start with spare parts on eBay. You can use it to make the molds or practice skinning. That way you always have the actual part to keep on the car until yo u get it finished.

Below pic is of my ‘18 Crosstrek 6 speed manual shift knob.

30306B89-C3C7-4A53-87D7-D0806AEEB35C.jpeg

Nice!  Youve given me some inspiration! I have a 2017 WRX. Have you done other interior customization?