Polishing / Finish coat on tubing.

Riley Baker

I have purchased TUBE - HEX - FABRIC - 1.50 X 1.60 X 66 INCH from RockWest for a trophy project I am working on for ice oval snowmobile racing. 

The product has a clear but rough finish on it and I was hoping to get a very clear, high gloss finish on it that would present well to on a winners trophy. The carbon fibre tubing is to be used for the columns between platforms of the trophy. 

Does anyone have recommendations or experience on finishing this product or carbon fibre in general? 

Thanks in advance, 

Riley

On 2/15/2023 at 6:46 AM, Riley Baker said:

I have purchased TUBE - HEX - FABRIC - 1.50 X 1.60 X 66 INCH from RockWest for a trophy project I am working on for ice oval snowmobile racing. 

The product has a clear but rough finish on it and I was hoping to get a very clear, high gloss finish on it that would present well to on a winners trophy. The carbon fibre tubing is to be used for the columns between platforms of the trophy. 

Does anyone have recommendations or experience on finishing this product or carbon fibre in general? 

Thanks in advance, 

Riley

Hi @Riley Baker, welcome to Composites Community!

I'd clearcoat over the tubing if you're going for a super high-quality finish. I'd highly recommend an automotive grade paint like this 2K Clear Coat from SprayMax. Though it's more expensive than the clearcoat you'd find at Home Depot, you're going to get much better results. You are going to want to wear a respirator with this as it's quite a bit more potent that your typical spray paint. Harbor Freight has pretty good prices on respirator masks if you need one. In fact, that reminds me that I need to pick one up myself.

Here's a video overview of the SprayMax 2K Clear Coat Spray Paint:

Hope this helps 👍

On 2/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, Riley Baker said:

Okay so just clean the tubing of any dust/debris, spray multiple coats to get it smooth? 

This product has ridges on it so would I need to sand and revise after?

You just want to sand, paint, then polish. There's a good video below:

• lo_0l changed the title to Polishing / Finish coat on tubing.