Carbon Fiber Pool Cue Shaft

Paggie

Question

Hi. I'm exploring production of CF billiard shafts in US. It seems almost all the CF shafts are currently produced in China using the prepreg method.  I'm looking at possibly making the shafts with braided RTM injection manufacturing technology rather than prepreg. Any opinions on this tech or if it would be a good fit for billiard shafts?

1 answer to this question

5 hours ago, Paggie said:

Hi. I'm exploring production of CF billiard shafts in US. It seems almost all the CF shafts are currently produced in China using the prepreg method.  I'm looking at possibly making the shafts with braided RTM injection manufacturing technology rather than prepreg. Any opinions on this tech or if it would be a good fit for billiard shafts?

From what I understand, billiard shafts are a little more difficult to make as they need to be very balanced and very straight. Fiber orientation and curing methods will have an affect on how the parts will be after curing and mandrel removal. We have found it to be fairly difficult to meet the standards using a roll wrapping method which is a good process to control resin content and fiber orientation. RTM may have issues with fiber wash and resin content. 

• Like 1